Lower Scores for Messy Hair?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
My DD had her state meet last weekend and all in all it was a very good meet (she got 3 medals including a second place finish). I was a little upset when I learned at the next practice her coaches were mad because they thought her hair was messy for the meet. They said that judges would score lower for messy hair. Is that true? The hair was completely off her face and shoulders, but wasn't silky sleek because she slept on her braids. Just curious for next season.

Well, I think messy hair is distracting and prefer that the hair is off the neck myself. So I'm not sure what kind of braids, I prefer that nothing is hanging or anything (obviously just my preference, this is not like a rule or something). It just bothers me aesthetically and I think a lot of gymnastics people tend to feel the same way. But it has to be pretty bad for them to overtly deduct for it, and an apparel deduction is supposed to be taken by the head judge off the AA (it's a "neutral" deduction) and usually there is a warning about that, so there wouldn't be any speculation or guessing or "scoring lower." Sounds like the coaches don't really know what they're talking about. But keep her hair up smooth and off her neck anyway to make me happy ;)

Edit: also if they were that upset about her hair at the meet, how long would it take to fix it themselves to meet their specifications? Grumbling about it after the fact isn't necessary. I'd just ignore.

Last edited:
It can be true. Gymnastics is a very subjective sport and even the most well meaning judge will begin forming an opinion of a gymnast based on their appearance. If the gymnast looks need and tidy, they give the impression of being serious about what they are doing. While a gymnast with messy hair may give the look of "i don't put in a lot of effort".

It can be true depending on the judge. I know our gym owner is also a judge and he hates "distracting hair". The goal is to get them to look at the gymnastics not the hair if they get distracted by the hair or whatever and miss seeing an element they may not give full credit. He likes buns all slicked so there are no flyaways at all. Many of the judges like that slicked back look too. no ponytails that are half falling out. It's part of "presentation" how you look matters

i believe we also have deductions for undergarments showing, more than one set of earings and earings must be studs if worn, no other jewlery, no nail polish on fingers or toes. no dirty fingernails or toenails. I think that's all I can think of that our coaches check for before a meet.

Just to be clear when we say distracting I don't think most coaches would be suggesting that a judge is going to actually miss seeing an element (the hair would have to be pretty out of bounds for that) but that it overall detracts from the routine and the cleanliness of the lines.

Just to be clear when we say distracting I don't think most coaches would be suggesting that a judge is going to actually miss seeing an element (the hair would have to be pretty out of bounds for that) but that it overall detracts from the routine and the cleanliness of the lines.

Bridget Sloan won Senior Women's All-Around at Nationals with a "messy bun". She was fabulous, but the hair was not so great. It obviously didn't distract from her routines.

A bun doesnt get you any more points nor does messy hair loose you points. As long as the girl isnt playing with or fixing her hair mid routine judge has no reason to take points. They are so busy getting through tons of routines in a small amount of time I doubt they notice hair styles.

My girls have a great time getting their hair done, they all discuss it before meets. At away meets they do it all together in someones hotel room. They range from ponytails to buns to braids to twists or curls. As long as it is out of their face and they do not play with it during a routine no reason to loose points. I bring extra hair spray to make sure it doesnt get in their way.

We have a gym in our state that requires the buns and they dont score higher than we do just because of their hairstyles.

Bridget Sloan won Senior Women's All-Around at Nationals with a "messy bun". She was fabulous, but the hair was not so great. It obviously didn't distract from her routines.

Well, duh. At that time she was the only returning olympian to do AA - she didn't exactly need to make an impression...

Generally, as others have said, there is no proper deduction for this, but, subconsciously, it could have an effect. If it's just "having slept in braids" I doubt it'd be that bad and it seems like the coach is overreacting a bit. If the scores were low there probably is more important stuff to fix (like, actual skills;))

I was there watching Bridge at worlds. haha. And her hair was messy and it annoyed me. I thought you have come halfway round the world to my wonderful country to represent your wonderful country in this amazing competition and you can't even be bothered to brush your hair. Disrespectful.

For children as long as it is neat that should be fine. If the judges deducted for it as mentioned before it would have been shown on her scorecards as a neutral deduction. I think your coaches are guessing. Sounds like she did very well so congrats.

I've wondered about this myself...we are in the process of ordering my dd's first competition leo and warm ups, etc., and the more experienced moms told me how tight they have to be!-even mentioning that there are deductions if there is so much as a wrinkle in the fabric! so we are ordering a leo that is actually two sizes smaller than she normally practices in! Okay, I get the whole neat and tidy thing... but come on! That's overkill...especially for really young kids in the lower levels! IMHO, these little kids are working their tails off to learn these skills, and then you are going to judge them on appearance instead of skills...? Especially since the hair and outfits are ordered and fixed by adults...not the little girls!
I mean, don't get me wrong, I know that rules are rules and we must follow the rules...but maybe that's what's wrong...seems like a flawed rule to me.
And lets face it, how many times have you actually seen a girl show up to compete in a grungy leo and with her hair a matted mess...?

I have never taken a deduction for "messy hair" because such a deduction does not exist. I've seen kids lose their entire ponytail in a routine and continue with a beautiful routine...no deduction.

I can only speak for myself as I am sure there are judges who judge things that are not "judgable".

Judges are humans, too. I don't have evidence of a hairstyle causing a lower or higher score. But I think we would be fooling ourselves if we thought that a gymnast's appearance NEVER has a bearing on her score.

I don't think the hair has to be a bun - but neat and tidy, for sure.

Bridge's hair was FINE. And judges can not take away points for "distracting hair" unless approaching the head judge to do so, and even before then, giving a warning to fix it.

I have had a coach tell me that my DD's hair was not okay, but it was more of a safety issue. Her hair is long, and even in a high ponytail, she worried about my DD hurting herself by pulling her hair while on floor or bars.

I am not good at doing hair, so I had to have another mom do it for me before the next meet. She had to wear three braids, and then looped around. It is hard to explain, but it works for longer hair.

MamaofEnS

There is no specific deduction for "messy hair" but the overall look of the gymnast definitely affects the routine. I always have my gymnasts have the same NEAT hair style, bc if their hair is tidy they do better gymnastics. I think messy hair affects the artistry of our sport- and I do not think kids looks athletic or like a gymnast in french braids or regular long braids- but thats my opinion.

I DO NOT like (I can even use the word hate here!) the "messy bun" look the elites wear at championships, or worlds! Its sloppy and disrespectful. I can't believe the coaches or Marta allows it! It makes them look like they are training and not competing!

competition from Pac Rim. the hair all looks okay to me.:) what do i know...
img5133i.jpg

There is no specific deduction for "messy hair" but the overall look of the gymnast definitely affects the routine. I always have my gymnasts have the same NEAT hair style, bc if their hair is tidy they do better gymnastics. I think messy hair affects the artistry of our sport- and I do not think kids looks athletic or like a gymnast in french braids or regular long braids- but thats my opinion.

I DO NOT like (I can even use the word hate here!) the "messy bun" look the elites wear at championships, or worlds! Its sloppy and disrespectful. I can't believe the coaches or Marta allows it! It makes them look like they are training and not competing!
I don't think Martha does allow it. You see a variety of hairstyles at Nationals--including the messy bun and braids. For international competition, the US girls always wear ponytails.

marta allows more than you might think.

4611464125_ea5cc61eaa.jpg

and bridget with the "messy" look.

4603504564_e5815c4a23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back