WAG question about kip cast handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
This stems from what I hope will be a minor bump in the road for DD that is nonetheless causing some frustration and stress. In her gym (and possibly everywhere for all I know), the girls are expected to start their L8 bars routines from the ground, rather than from the springboard. She's having a devil of a time doing a kip cast handstand from the ground and told me that she doesn't think she's strong enough to be able to do it. Now, I know that she will figure it out, but I was wondering whether it's common to have a few issues with this transition and if so, why. Is it that they get more momentum or a better angle jumping from a block or springboard?

In level 8 you can use a block between the bars and have a coach or athlete pull the block during the kip. But if it's a gym rule then she is going to have to get those hips up and jump higher! Good luck hope she gets it!!

DD uses a block. She is the only one in her group to do so, but she is also the shortest :)

DD had a hard time making this transition. She was really tiny, just turned 7 and went to a gym that didnt allow a springboard. She seriously couldn't even make her kip for awhile, but she adjusted. They relented at one point and let her use a panel mat to reach the bar, but now she is good without even that.

Is it a gym rule, or do the girls not just do it? Many optionals don't need a springboard for a low bar mount and therefore don't use it. But maybe she is especially small. As far as angle and momentum for a small kid it can be both as the way they jump and catch the bar determines the momentum of their glide - they have to jump up almost above the bar if that makes sense.

It's a gym rule. She did actually manage to make one yesterday, so she is feeling a lot better about the whole thing. She's on the older side (12) but not gifted with great size (about 54"). Thanks -- it does make a little more sense to me now why she was finding it so difficult at first.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back