WAG Are they allowed to do this or not....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

myeyeson_u

Hi. This question is geared more towards the judges/former judges and coaches/former coaches. If there are any gymnast and/or relatives who may have some insight on this, feel free to chime in.

So my dd had a meet this weekend. While at the meet, I noticed a coach approaching an event table because the coach wasn't pleased w/ the scores their gymnasts were getting. One gymnast got a relatively decent score, but the others were in the 8's (not bad, but it wasn't a 9 like some of the others). But when the coach didn't approach the table, the scores were in the 9's. I wanted to know do the judges give lower scores because the coach asks questions? If so, why is that? Are they not allowed to ask any questions? I thought coaches could inquire on why their athlete got the score they got, if they didn't feel it was a deserving score. I'm just inquiring because as I was waiting for my dd to go through her events, I'd watch some of the others. Thanks!

Most coaches/ judges have good relationships and do ask questions regarding scores, start values, etc. Technically however, coaches aren't supposed to ask the judges directly. Instead, coaches with questions regarding such things are supposed to write out an inquiry and present it to the meet referee or meet director, where at that time the inquiry is reviewed before the meet referee relays the explanation to the coach. These rules are strictly enforced at state meets, but when it comes to invitationals there is a lot more leniency.

How do you know why the coach approached the event table? I assume you're referring to the judges table.

True statement by jago, as there are several instances where the judge may be asking the coach a question about gymnast order, warm-up/touch procedures, equipment, etc. I will tell you as a coach, sometimes the discussions we are having with the judge is irrelevant to gymnastics completely.

How do you know why the coach approached the event table?

I don't know why they approached the table. My question was do judges give lower scores when they're approached by a coach.

Technically however, coaches aren't supposed to ask the judges directly.

So Jacob, w/ that said, it's possible that the judge could've given lower scores at the time they were being approached by that coach, yes?

Yes, I have seen coaches talk to the judges before or after the girls compete that event. It is usually on vault for some reason, but I've seen it on all events. It shouldn't make any difference in the scores though!

I've never come across a judge who did that. The difference in scores was probably coincidental. I'm often around the judges tables because I'm friends with quite a few judges!

So Jacob, w/ that said, it's possible that the judge could've given lower scores at the time they were being approached by that coach, yes?

I'm sure the lower scores you saw were just a coincidence. There are a million reasons a coach approaches the judge's table. I wouldn't speculate.

@EastCoastGymMom Yup, it was on vault. But this was after one of the gymnast score was posted, the coach went to the table. Then when the girls were done, the coach was asking the judge questions as the judge was walking. I wonder if it's a personal thing w/ the judge and coach....

I guess I'm not following 100%, if you're asking if the judges changed a particular score then no, as that can't be done without a written inquiry. (Even then highly unlikely) If you're asking if the coach approaching the judges table influenced the scores following, then I guess that could be a possibility, but I would sure hope not. You have to remember that both judges must be within a certain range before averaging the score. That process eliminates most issues, just keep in mind judging is very subjective and mistakes will be made.

Judges are people....... so could be.... hard to say. But good judges would not let a coaches behavior effect a score.

If they were optional level gymnasts, the coach has to tell the judges what vault the gymnast will be performing before she goes.

But even if the coaches talked to the judges when they were not supposed to, there should not be a deduction for the gymnast.

But judges are people too and maybe if the coach made them really mad maybe they would score that coach's gymnasts a little lower. One coach I had used to tell us that a certain judge didn't like our team and to take her scores with a grain of salt but I really think she did judge us fairly.

Most coaches/ judges have good relationships and do ask questions regarding scores, start values, etc. Technically however, coaches aren't supposed to ask the judges directly. Instead, coaches with questions regarding such things are supposed to write out an inquiry and present it to the meet referee or meet director, where at that time the inquiry is reviewed before the meet referee relays the explanation to the coach. These rules are strictly enforced at state meets, but when it comes to invitationals there is a lot more leniency.

I have a question about submitting an inquiry.
We had a situation at our last meet. A girl on DD's team scored very low on bars, without any major mistakes. They left the event, and went to the next one. Then coach decided to do an inquiry and went to the meet director. The meet director went to the judge, and the judge replied that they should have inquired before they left the event, once they left, it's too late. And that judge happen to be a head judge at that meet, or whatever it's called, so they never got an explanation of why the girl scored so low.
Is that really the rule, or was the judge just mean? :)

If your state is like ours, they've known each other for a long time, and unless one of them is a jerk, they're probably friendly with each other.

I don't coach gymnastics, but I do coach a different sport, and I can tell you I know all the referees, and am friendly with several of them (the same goes for the other coaches). We share a love of the sport, and enjoy helping/teaching kids. It would be more strange if we were completely indifferent towards each other.

I have a question about submitting an inquiry.
We had a situation at our last meet. A girl on DD's team scored very low on bars, without any major mistakes. They left the event, and went to the next one. Then coach decided to do an inquiry and went to the meet director. The meet director went to the judge, and the judge replied that they should have inquired before they left the event, once they left, it's too late. And that judge happen to be a head judge at that meet, or whatever it's called, so they never got an explanation of why the girl scored so low.
Is that really the rule, or was the judge just mean? :)

well, it's the rule. but if there is time, and the next event as not started they'll usually do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back