Coaches Help with clear hips!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have several gymnasts training clear hips right now & one of them is struggling. We are in a small gym with a very limited amount of mats & one set of bars so I'm limited on drills. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I've found one of the biggest reasons kids struggle with clear hips- either doing the skill entirely or doing it to horizontal or above- is their lack of shoulder action in the beginning- getting them to "throw" their shoulders back. I did see a set up at one time where they stacked mats under the low bar- low enough so they can still cast but thick enough to actual cushion their fall- and have them cast and land on their back on the mats.
Clear hips from blocks- 2 spotting blocks (or other blocks stacked to about that height) with 1 foot on each. Jump into a cast position and clear hip back onto the blocks.

If you're spotting, make sure you aren't just grabbing the feet and pulling them into a handstand. You'll be doing that forever with little or no change.

Work on wrist shift- you could try 2 back hip circles in a row (with tight, straight body).

I'm sure I have more in my brains somewhere, but it's early.

What @coachmolly said. At my club we also get them to do the double back hip circle and once they are doing that reasonably easily we get them to open shoulders and push towards handstand on the second hip circle to get them used to the shift (wrists) and the feeling of being 'clear' of the bar

Forgot to add.

We do this particular drill on shiny bar with loops and gloves so that if they shift at the wrong time / their hands slip they can't fall on their heads/necks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back