high bar kip help !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
DD had her high bar kip for months. Now that her first L5 meet is this weekend it is MIA. I think it may be her timing is off, not sure. She is making it up and at the last second it looks like she is pushing away from the bar insread of pulling in & piking over it. She says she doesn't think she is pushing away, doesn't get why she is told not to do that, but it sure looks that way.

I know there really isn't a quick fix, but any tip or suggestion of what to tell her that might help it click again? And just in case, if she makes it close , & misses what is the deduction? is it .5 as a fall, or does she lose the value of the skill as well? at what point does she not get credit for it? lastly, if she does miss it, does she try again or long hang pull over &move on?

she has grown a bit, will that throw it off? but low bar kip still there so, perhaps not.

i'm sure her coach will fix it. nonetheless, tell her not to "leg lift" her feet during the long hang swing. tell her to keep her feet down in the swing and keep her shoulders "under" the bar when she kips.:)

and the deductions are not important. it's part of the learning process.:)

i'm sure her coach will fix it. nonetheless, tell her not to "leg lift" her feet during the long hang swing. tell her to keep her feet down in the swing and keep her shoulders "under" the bar when she kips.:)

and the deductions are not important. it's part of the learning process.:)

thanks Dunno. HC not worried, but DD so,in turn I guess I worry. Last night I had to coach her group (not ideal for any of us but last resoer...) so I just felt her frustration & none of my tips helped : )

Push the high bar when you catch. Lead the glide with the arm pits. When you feel the stretch in the shoulders, kip :).

I've also used "act like you're dragging your feet in the mud in your glide"

Thanks guys. Not sure if she made any today i was out in the pre-schoo classes all night. Not even going to ask, shehasnot discussed it, I'm not opening that can of worms ! She will either make it at the meet on Saturday, or she won't. It's her first L5 meet, it's all meant to go up from there ! I'm not going to stress about it. She was all discouraged last night, she is ok now.

I appreciate the advice & will pass it along.

Sounds like she is kipping too early.

Things to do:

make sure she doesn't lift the feet too high in the glide on the higher rail.

be patient. too many kids are already pushing on the bar to support right as they get their feet to the bar.

ideally we want the action of the legs being extended and then coming back to the bar (the leg lift) to increase the speed of the swing as she folds her body in half.

update on high bar kip

thanks for the great advice everyone. Her high bar kip came back for the meet :D

she still got raked over the coals a bit, 7.9 but she is working on fixing a few things like legs coming apart a little on her kips, slight leg bend in FHC and getting her tap swings a little higher. I thought her bar routine looked ok, I probably would have scored it in the 8.3 - 8.5 range but I guess that is why I am not a judge :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Although her form is pretty good you will see this quite a bit. From what I can tell they may be taking off for the following.

1. Both of her casts were below horizontal
2. They are brutal on tapswings. There are height requirements for each side of the swing and hers appear to be low. The angle on one of the counter swings is hard to tell.
3. rythm breaks. Each time she stops they can take a little off.
4. both kips had bent arms.
5. the best I can tell the dismount turned a little too soon and her feet weren't high enough yet.

It's early in the season so she should have time to work out the kinks. Most of the above a small corrections. The dismount and tapswings seem to be the hardest ones to get exactly right. If that's a NC judge I see in the back ground, (she's kind of blurry) I know she is very particular on bars if it's the one I think it is.

good luck :).

Although her form is pretty good you will see this quite a bit. From what I can tell they may be taking off for the following.

1. Both of her casts were below horizontal
2. They are brutal on tapswings. There are height requirements for each side of the swing and hers appear to be low. The angle on one of the counter swings is hard to tell.
3. rythm breaks. Each time she stops they can take a little off.
4. both kips had bent arms.
5. the best I can tell the dismount turned a little too soon and her feet weren't high enough yet.

It's early in the season so she should have time to work out the kinks. Most of the above a small corrections. The dismount and tapswings seem to be the hardest ones to get exactly right. If that's a NC judge I see in the back ground, (she's kind of blurry) I know she is very particular on bars if it's the one I think it is.

good luck :).

Thanks CoachTodd. yes that is an NC judge. I thought her casts were a little below horizontal as well. Funny, she has beautiful tap swings, UNLESS she is doing them out of the undershoot dismount. Don't know why that gives her so much trouble. Did in L4 too. We have tried the 2 BHS thing...... oh well. She is trying REALLY hard to get rid of that scissor in her legs on her kip, someday. I am very proud of her. She has worked so hard. She grew 3 inches in the last year, so she is still getting used to those longer legs & arms too. I know there are so many areas for deductions, I like Judges Cup for that reason - you get that sheet that lists everything they look for, and I don't like it because they seem to take as much as they can on each one LOL !!

She was upset w/ the 7.9 & her 7.55 on vault. I just told her that this was a meet where you find out what you need to work on. That all her skills are there, she is just getting 10thed to death. Her form has improved a lot in the last month, she may be getting used to those long arms and legs.

As long as she is having fun and progressing I am happy. She has all her L6 skills except clear hip, working on that so she is currently happy, improving & progressing. Can't ask for more than that.

Thanks for your input. I was expecting low bars score, it was just a little lower than I thought, but like you said everything was just a little short of where it needed to be (casts, tap swings etc).

good luck w/ your girls as well. We may see you next season, I believe DD will be doing Gold in the winter.

Score looks about right for that routine. If I had the ability to download and watch the file (college computer) I'd get out some scratch and score it properly.

As I predicted, she has her feet too high on the long hang kip and doesn't wait on it.

In her tap on her front swings, her hips are higher than her toes thus she is not "hollow". She needs to kick the toes while not allowing her hips to pop open. See how they almost show a slight arch?

Other than that, she's just getting nickel and dimed besides the bent arms.

Score looks about right for that routine. If I had the ability to download and watch the file (college computer) I'd get out some scratch and score it properly.

As I predicted, she has her feet too high on the long hang kip and doesn't wait on it.

In her tap on her front swings, her hips are higher than her toes thus she is not "hollow". She needs to kick the toes while not allowing her hips to pop open. See how they almost show a slight arch?

Other than that, she's just getting nickel and dimed besides the bent arms.

Thanks BlairBob ! my little queen of being 10thed to death !! LOL !! Just can't seem to keep those long limbs straight. Someday. She is getting better. I knew she would get dinged on the connections (stops between skills) and the scissor legs on kips (she is trying hard to fix that) and her bent arms.

I really appreciate all the help from the coaches in helping me understand the score better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back