WAG Optional Requirements Out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cool. So now I just need to figure out what group 3, 6 and 7 are and what the l6/7 vault list is. Although from my very limited understanding I think you can continue to do the same handspring vault.

The answers to both previous questions (group for vaults and A, B, etc) are found in the JO Code of Points which, to the best of my knowlege, is only available in hard copy.

The best source for answers to all of these type questions is your coach.

Added: The USAG site where this document came from also has a list of the vaults for the optional levels.

Last edited:
Lol... That list is about as clear as mud to me. Bars cast minimum of horizontal for L6 sounds easier that even the current L6, so that sounds strange to me?

I thought L6 was going to be not required anyway? My understanding was this new L6 is to keep kids who had done L5 (old 6) but were not ready for 7 yet IN the JO program instead of using Xcel for that purpose. So maybe that's why it's so basic. I thought I had read that you don't need to score out of it; you can skip it. I could be wrong though!

To a coach and an athlete, it is quite clear.

Agree that the Lvl 6 reqts are truely a waste. Hope everyone hurries quick to score out of 6 and get to Lvl 7.

Is it just me, or does level 6 seem about useless?

I was thinking it actually looks the same and possibly easier than the current compulsory L6 in that you would actually have some options for some skills? I am wondering if anyone will actually compete the new 5 now or just score out....

L7 looks the same, or am I missing something? And I don't see any changes for L8 special requirements, just the now allowable 1 C in addition to the C elements previously allowed?

L7 looks the same, or am I missing something? And I don't see any changes for L8 special requirements, just the now allowable 1 C in addition to the C elements previously allowed?

Yes, the additional C allowed on each event is what they had been talking about. So you will see double back dismounts on bars, back tucks on beam and 1 1/2's into punch fronts on floor from some level 8's.

Waiting to hear what you coaches think of this! But it looks like new L7 will be more front handspring vaults, ugh.

Can't say I'm that impressed, but I guess I'll just wait and see how it all plays out. The new level 5/6 are really similar with the exception of one being compulsory and one being optional. I can see one of those levels being scored out of quickly to move on to the next with only a few kids struggling with level 7 skills spending time at both levels- which is a good if they are trying to discourage using prep op as an intermediate level I guess.
The new level 7 has the addition of a 2nd B skill requirement, but from the level 7 routines I've seen recently, many of them include a 2nd B as it is now. And I'm disappointed they aren't allowing timers on vault. I know it has the potential to be a logistical nightmare, but the lack of changes doesn't do anything to bridge the gap between handspring vaults and Yurchenkos/tsuks which is a pretty big stumbling block in the current system.

So, then, level 8 is exactly the same except for the allowable C skill? And am I correct that judges can/will deduct for not having that C skill... "not working up to level" or some such thing? Do you think all judges are likely to deduct the same/similar amount for not having a C skill, or are we going to see a wider range of scores for level 8? How much CAN they deduct for not having a C skill when none are actually required?

So, then, level 8 is exactly the same except for the allowable C skill? And am I correct that judges can/will deduct for not having that C skill... "not working up to level" or some such thing? Do you think all judges are likely to deduct the same/similar amount for not having a C skill, or are we going to see a wider range of scores for level 8? How much CAN they deduct for not having a C skill when none are actually required?

I'm guessing L8 will be the same with a few random skills here and there...like doubles off bars.

I think they are likely to "deduct nothing" for not having a C.

I think C skills done sloppy will take higher execution deductions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back