WAG How much do you use starp bar?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
I'm curious about this topic because it seems to be the trend here in Finland to do a lots of strap bar work but I hear very little about other countries gymnasts using them. I've been wondering if there's a reason why not to use straps bars?

We pretty much teach all the fundamentals on straps first and then move to real bar. The kip is a good example: our kids start working on high strap bar kips usually two or three years before they need that skill on real bar in a routine. Usually kids get their strap bar kips in about a 3-6 months and after getting it on straps it usually takes a few months to get it on a real bar. None of our kids learn low bar kips before straps and usually it's easy to move to the real bar after getting it on straps. Usually kids also get very, very excited when they get the kip for the first time and that also helps them to get their "real" kips because it's easier to imagine yourself doing a kip on low bar if you KNOW you are able to do the kipping action.

Of course our kids work on glides and spotted drop kips at the same time with strap kips but focus is on straps. Even the first competitive bar routine is done on strap bar. The kids usually spend 15 minutes of bar rotation on straps and other 15 minutes on real bars.

How do you think about this? Do you love strap bars or not? We use gloves and no pipe so it's easier for them to learn to shift the wrists.

Our gym uses it quite a bit for things like giants, front giants, kips, free hips and other more advance work that I have no idea what the names are :)

We use it every lesson. Kids can then securely practise their more advanced skills without the need for constant spot, we can get more done and build their confidence.

In Australia in our international stream the kid the kids compete in strap bar and not the normal bar for the first few years.

Here we have a program called defi. It's a program where the gymnasts are evaluated and can score out of levels (1 to 6). It's usually for younger gymnasts, as you cannot compete before the age of 8. They have artistic routines to learn on beam and floor, as well as accro skills , some skills on vault, a routine on bars and one on strap bars. They aren't evaluated on the regular bar.

I mostly use it for swings with my gymnasts, right now. Our club is using pipes, but I know some others are using gloves.

My youngest dd was measured up for her first set of gloves and loops last night at gym and she had her first swing on the strap bar. I have no idea what they will be workng on yet though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back