Coaches Level 3 bar options

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coach247

Coach
I coach level 3's in Colorado and we are about to start meet season next week.

I'm excited to see what teams are choosing from all the bar options.

What are you guys having your current level 3 gymnasts compete?

Kip or Glide?

Basket swing or stride circle?

Do you have any strong opinion on why one vs the other?

We are having our girls do basket swings, but since is the first year teaching it, some of them doesn't look very good. But we think the skill teaches more progressions to kip then the stride circle, so we are having them compete even if it doesn't look quite clean.
What do you guys think?

Sorry about bombarding with questions.

I'm a new coach. =)

Glide, unless the kip is spot on (which we have one who has a locked elbow kip).
Stride circle, we already work kips all the time, and I don't think the basket has enough value for teaching a kip (we have plenty of other drills for that).
So I guess at the very least they are learning a wrist shift with reverse grip. But either way,, nothing really lost or gained.

Ours are doing glide/pullover unless their kip is straight armed and connected. All are doing the mill circle since they have it from last year.

None of mine have their kip (I just got with this group 3 months ago! it was a mess) so all of my L3 do glide to PO. They all do the mill circle

All of my L3 do glide pull over. I have made the deal with them that if they connect a clean routine with a good score they can add the kip (if it has straight arms!). As for split basket swing/front mill circle, I am working both with the girls and whichever one is better will be the one that they compete. I have a few girls who fear the front mill circle, so they are definitely doing the split basket swing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back